Mother’s Day is this Sunday, May 12. In honor of the holiday, daughters and sons around the country will be showering their mothers with whatever they can to make the day as special as possible.
The reality is that many mothers live in assisted living communities and your celebration can be limited because of this. There are plenty of ideas to make the day special for her.
FOR THE SENIOR WHO WOULD LOVE TO GET OUT
1. Take a fan of sports to watch a live game. They will love watching something on a local or national level.
2. Find a local botanical garden and look at the flowers. It’s a perfect time of year for this! It would also be good for them to get fresh air.
3. Take them out-to-eat at one of their favorite restaurants.
4. Find a local class in a hobby they enjoy. Painting classes have been a trending event. Many craft stores also offer classes on cake decorating and arranging floral displays.
5. Go for a walk in nature and plan a picnic.
FOR THE SENIOR WHO WANTS TO STAY IN
1. Cook a favorite meal together. This will allow you to work together. If your mother can not do much physically, let them sit and watch you spoil them.
2. Serve a sparkling non-alcoholic drink as a creative way to have a fancy treat. Adding sparkling water to tea, lemonade, or any juice will do! Be sure to purchase a fun or pretty cup to serve your treat in.
3. Sit and listen to their favorite music with them.
4. Purchase takeout from their favorite place and eat a meal with them.
5. There is nothing better than sitting back and relaxing in front of a movie. Enjoy watching a favorite movie of their choosing with them.
6. Plan a garden party. Set a pretty table with fresh flowers, tea, and a dessert. You don’t even need an outdoor garden for this if you bring plenty of beautiful flowers indoors.
7. Join your mother for a fun activity at her senior care or assisted living facility. Many communities offer a luncheon or event to celebrate with families.
8. Bring your mother flowers and a collection of framed new photos to decorate her room.
Choose some of these Mother’s Day activities and celebrate a special day with her. The important thing to remember is that your mother wants you to spend quality time with her over any gift that you can give her. Make this year memorable.